Thursday, June 9, 2011

How to freeze blueberries

The Aldi's near us has blueberries for 99 cents this week. If you don't have an Aldi's I am so sorry! If you do and have never been because it looks a little shady (it is) and you have to "rent" your shopping cart for a quarter (you do), well get over yourself and get to Aldi's! They have great produce for a fantastic price! The blueberries, strawberries and pineapples are all 99 cents this week. And the blueberries at my store are local from right here in North Carolina! So I bought 18 pints. Yes, I said 18. My 4 yr old can eat a pint in one sitting so I decided to stock up. But of course, they will not stay fresh so I needed to freeze the berries. Seeing as how I have never been a canner/freezer type person (see below post), I thought I would just pour them in ziplocs and pop them in the freezer. Au contraire! Apparently if you do that they will all freeze as one big clump and we don't want that. So my friend Robyn told me to do it this way and I am sharing for all you other virgin blueberry freezers. I didn't want you to have clumps of frozen berries. You are welcome.

Wash your berries. Let them dry out for a few minutes- like 10.
 Pour the berries onto a jelly roll pan. Don't use a cookie sheet b/c you will have berries rolling all over your floor and your freezer. Spread them out in a single layer. Place the sheet in your freezer. Leave them there for 15 minutes.
When you take them out, the berries will be "individually" frozen so now they won't freeze together. Pour them into the ziploc bags and place them in the freezer.
Am I the only one who didn't know how to do this? If so, I feel silly. Hopefully one of y'all out there in blogland is saying "Ohhhh that is so helpful!" :)

1 comment:

  1. This is VERY helpful! I did not know that! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete